Sunday 11 November 2007

Forbidden fruit etc...






Right now I'm sitting in the kitchen, just finishing the topping for a happy birthday cheesecake. Freshly picked mandarine oranges from a tree just down the street. In fact, I've been picking oranges from this tree all week - they've been amazing. And to be honest, simmering with a little cinnamon, allspice, and brown sugar, they smell pretty good too. Well, they're forbidden oranges... I found out today that the tree I've raided all week belongs to someone. Without knowing it, I've stolen them. It's not that I didn't wonder about the tree - it's a beauty and heavy laden, and I marvelled that it would be in this alley. But mid-pick today the owner returned to his house (the house this alley is beside) and was understandably upset. "It's ok," he said "but you should have asked." And the truth is, if I'd have stopped to think about this well taken care of tree in an alley...adjacent to a house...I would have suspected it belonged to someone. This was the second bust of the week... the first was Thursday night when a local missionary let our small group (6 of us) come to his house to play games. Well, one of those games ended up being Mennonite Madness (many of you are smiling from our good mems and understanding, aren't cha?:)) leading the neighbours to believe that someone was being assaulted, which led to the police arriving to see what the matter was. Our friend arrived home at the same time and had to explain that it was just a bunch of psycho foreigners screaming bloody murder trying to get the pen. Sigh... do you know what has annoyed me more than anything this last week? Inconsiderate people... everyone's epidemic in close quarter living. Do you know what got me busted twice this week? Being inconsiderate. Both times I was just enjoying life and never stopped to ask or consider the literal neighbours. Yikes... how many times have I been selfishishly unaware and not gotten busted? (I'm sure some of you are tempted to take this opportunity, eh?:))Oh, and here are some pics from our last weekend trip to Paphos - the first time I've ever been to a biblical city. And I know the pics don't reflect it - but 5 days a week really are intense:) Oh - and a very happy birthday to you, Lynn! I love you very much!

1 comment:

Julene said...

I can understand your problems with posting pics, but these pictures that you did get posted are AMAZING! Sand, it looks like you are having a wonderful adventure! I love you ... your beautiful. Thank you for the posting, kindred spirit.