Tuesday 5 February 2008

One of those days...

I wanted to write about today tomorrow, after it was over. I thought it would make a better story then... you see, it's one of those days. And I'm sure there will be more of a story to tell tomorrow, but with intermittent internet and time constraints, I'm learning to write when I get the chance. (Actually, in the midst of writing this 2 days ago, I lost internet connection and couldn't post until now...)
So, at 7:25 this morning I went outside to get my pants hanging on the washing line. I had hand washed them and was anticipating wearing something clean. But I did not find them that way. In the night, the line broke, piling my clothes on the dirty ground. D-I-R-T-Y - just to be clear. But the icing on this cake was that some animal (I think a cat) which had some type of stomach problem, came and DUMPED runny crap all over my clothes. 2 pairs of pants, 1 pyjama top, and 2 pairs of underpants... The trash is not an option for 2 reasons: 1 - they can be salvaged (right now they are soaking in a strong soap mixture and I'm procrastinating from scrubbing them) and 2 - I don't have other clothes here. But this afternoon I understood the reason why. Talking with some of the girls here, the subject of value came up. What makes a person valuable? Can anything happen to them that makes them lose that value? And then I remembered my clothes. Crapped on and stinky and dirty from their horrible night... not their fault. Some may see them as no longer valuable because of the position they are in to get new clothes. But from my point of view, I can see that they just need to be washed and they will be good as new. They will lose the stains and the stink and the filth given to them. They have not lost their value; they just need to be cleaned. We spend a lifetime looking for people and places to tell us we're great just as we are - that our circumstances and choices haven't devalued us. So friends, if you are feeling crapped on and nasty today because of what has happened to you... it has not affected your worth. And there is One who can make you clean - that's a promise available to everyone.
P.S. today, 2 days later, I'm wearing the nastiest of the dump pants - 100% stain free:)

1 comment:

Betty said...

Sandra - I don't think I've ever seen value of life connected to pants that have been vomited on before - but you draw a very good comparison I must say.
God keep you well on your journey.
Love Aunt Betty